As we find ourselves at the coldest time of year, I’ve been enjoying warming teas like Ripe Pu'er. I've been experimenting with dried clementine peels as a soothing addition to my Pu'er.
The rich and honeyed notes of the Pu’er harmonize well with the subtle, citrusy hints of the clementine peels. I hope you will enjoy this simple gongfu brewed tea and take comfort in the cup on cold days.
Pu’ Er Clementine
- 5g (~1 Tbsp) Ripe Pu'er tea cake
- 150ml Water, 98°C
- 1 Clementine
To Make Dried Clementine Peel
- Preheat oven to 100°C
- Peel clementine using a peeler
- Chop peeled skin into thin strips
- Place into oven for 30-45 minutes, until the peels are dried and begin to curl
- Store in an airtight container
- Add Pu'er tea into your chosen brewing vessel (we like to use a gaiwan)
- Pour hot water over tea for 5-10 seconds. Rinse out this first brew.
- Break 4-5 strips of the dried clementine into smaller pieces, and add to tea
- Pour hot water over tea and clementine mix and cover for 10-20 seconds
- Pour into cup and enjoy!
Note: You can keep re-steeping this blend up to 8 times, each time extending the brew time by 5 seconds.
Post written by Mona's sister and recipe whiz, Sherina Jhunjhnuwala ♥
Do you like blending your tea with any flowers, fruits or herbs? Feel free to share your thoughts below.