Matcha, powdered Japanese green tea, has steadily gained popularity over the last few years for its health benefits and aesthetic beauty. You may have noticed many cafes offering Matcha latte on their menu. But how exactly do you prepare a simple bowl of Matcha at home? See video and below instructions to learn more.
1. Place 1 tsp of matcha powder into your bowl (equivalent to 2 scoops using a traditional bamboo scoop).
- Tip: Sift the powder through a sieve first to remove any clumps. This will help to ensure a smooth and creamy cup of matcha tea.
2. Add 90ml / 3oz hot water (slightly less than boiling temperature).
3. Hold your bamboo whisk inside the bowl. Then move the whisk back and forth vigorously for 15 - 40 seconds to create a nice froth. Begin by running the whisk around the inside of the matcha bowl and then move the whisk quickly and energetically from side to side in a zig-zag, figure-eight type motion.
4. When a nice froth develops on the surface of the tea, and there are no more large bubbles, the matcha is ready to drink.
5. Gently remove the bamboo whisk from the matcha in a swirling motion, and enjoy your matcha tea... :)
Once you're done whisking, your Matcha should have a nice green colour and a consistent foam at the top. I was quite proud of this outcome: Not only did it look pretty, but it was smooth, creamy and simply delicious! The perfect way to get my morning started...
Note: Whisking matcha takes practice so don't worry if it doesn't look perfect on your first go!
Have you ever tried whisking Matcha? I would love to hear about your experiences. Feel free to comment below!
Note: All photos and videos in this post taken by Mona Jhunjhnuwala in January 2018