As the fall draws nearer and our palates shift towards warmer flavors, my go-to cocktail has been inching towards the Old Fashioned. The warming notes of caramelized sugars, spiciness and syrupy texture of Kentucky bourbon coupled with the fresh aroma of orange peel just hits the spot in every way on a crisp autumn evening.
That's why I'm super excited to introduce my tea spin on the classic: Ool'd Fashioned!
I've added Thai Red Oolong and a dash of honey to the ingredients list to create a glorious fall cocktail. The juicy yet toasty feel of the Red Oolong really complements the bourbon. If you like your drinks fruity, sweet, thick and spicy, you're in for a treat.
I also love how simple it is to make (I do a tea-infused bourbon). Warning, they are also dangerously easy to drink so pace yourself!
- 5g Red Oolong
- 60ml (2oz) Bourbon (we like Maker's Mark)
- Angostura bitters
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 orange peel
- 2 tsp water
- Ice cubes
- Add Red oolong leaves directly into bourbon at room temperature. Refrigerate for 48 hours to prepare the tea-infused bourbon.
- Once the tea-infused bourbon is ready, rub orange peel around the edge of a lowball glass and squeeze over glass to release the oils
- In the glass, combine honey, a couple drops of bitters, and water. Stir together until smooth syrupy texture.
- Add a couple ice cubes (or one big one) and the orange peel.
- Pour tea-infused bourbon over ice, and enjoy!
For a mocktail version, substitute bourbon for apple cider.
Have you ever made or tasted a tea-infused cocktail? Which teas are you craving this fall? Feel free to share your thoughts below! ♥